The nutrition program at the School for Early Learning provides engagement and educational opportunities that center around gardening and healthy food choices.
Features of the program include:
- Designing, planting and maintaining gardens
- Harvesting, preparing and sharing the food we grow
- Enjoying family-style meals together
- Sharing valuable mealtime conversations
Our Nutrition Program
- Full breakfast, lunch and afternoon snacks are offered daily and prepared on site in the Schoenbaum Family Center kitchen.
- Patterned after the Mediterranean diet, we serve whole grains and beans, fresh fruits, vegetables, seeds, lean meats and fish.
- We prepare freshly made infant foods daily.
- All milk is from cows not treated with the rBST growth hormone.
- We grow multiple themed gardens in our courtyards, including a ‘salsa,’ ‘pizza,’ and ‘pickle’ garden for children to connect to menu items being served.
- Courtyard gardens provide a wide variety of organic fresh fruits and vegetables to expand children’s taste experiences and are utilized in our daily salad bar.
- We have worm gardens to compost kitchen fruit and vegetable scraps, and we utilize a composting bin to break down garden bed scraps, which we then use to revitalize the gardens.
- The school chef prepares allergen-free food items for children who require them.